Tuesday, February 8, 2011

The Power of Basics



Many of you probably remember the great talk Elder Uchtdorf gave in the last General Conference titled "Of Things That Matter Most".  Don't you love his talks?  I'm amazed that he always finds an airplane metaphor.  Do you think he'll eventually run out of them?  Somehow, I doubt it :).  The other day I flipped open my Ensign and there sat his talk.  I needed to read it that day.  It was very inspiring.  I heard him share his message during GC but a few things stood out to me in new ways when I read it.

Over the past few years I've been on a quest...the quest to SIMPLIFY!  I'm pretty sure I've passed some of you along the way.  It's been quite a journey.  I think I've taken it a little too far.  

Crafts, organizing, cooking, blogging, cleaning, sewing...NONE of them are simple enough for me anymore!  I never finish a project unless it's done in 10 min. or less.  I feel like I've short changed myself.  How am I supposed to get better at anything I do, if I'm not spending time doing it? 

In Pres. U's talk, he shares a little story about Vince Lombardi.  (I don't want to type it all here, but if you want to read it, you can click on the link above.)  In his story he says, "This coach knew that even these experienced players, and indeed the team, could become great only by mastering the fundamentals".  Only by mastering the fundamentals!  I love that :)

So now, I'm starting a new journey...the journey to master the fundamentals of home-making (as opposed to  skimming past my homemaking duties because they aren't simple enough, as I've been doing).  Have your ever admired your grandma, or someone grandmotherly, who can do all kinds of amazing things from scratch?  I have!  I want to cook from scratch (without using canned foods if possible), and to make more home-made things, and to learn...the fundamentals! 

I'm going to "slow down a little, steady the course, and focus on the essentials" in regards to anything related to our home. I'm excited for all the learning possibilities that are ahead of me.


1 comment:

Kristy said...

You are so right...sometimes it is hard to realize when you need to simplify or just take a nap. They both sound about right :)