Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Day Trip

The Weather has been so fantastic lately!  Coming from a "northern" climate, the idea that January is cold and snowy is forever ingrained deep in side me.  I can't seem to convince myself that each beautiful day is real.  Unfortunately, the arctic chill came and blew all that away.  It was freezing here today (although, I'm well aware that it is no where near as cold here as it is where some of you are...I feel for you and pray that you stay warm:)!

We've been spending a lot of time outside and even took a day trip to Snow Canyon.  We have lived here for more than three years now (can you believe it?  I can't!) and have only gone one other time.  It was such a blast!  I don't know why we don't go more often.

The red "eroded" sandstone is a common geological feature of So. U. but I think it is beautiful, no matter how often I see it.  J. has fun sitting in/climbing around the large holes...occasionally we use them as hand holds so as to climb walls...and they're always fun to look at. :)

      

We also discovered a little patch of Sand dunes contained inside the park. We played for about an hour but It looks like the perfect place to spend an entire day.  I want to set up some chairs and umbrellas, pack a lunch, and turn the little one loose.  

While we were there, we plopped ourselves down at the top of a hill to dig in the sand.  After a few minutes, I looked over and J. was somersaulting down.  It looked painful to me but he had a blast...and as you can imagine, he was CoVeReD from head to toe in sand.  Oh well...my car needed to be vacuumed anyway!

               

Look at all that sand!  I can't wait to go back and hike the trails we didn't have time for...especially the trail to the top of the volcano.  Anyone want to come?

I'm discovering that a desert really can be beautiful.  If we ever move away from here, I will truly miss the uniqueness and wonder that surrounds us here. 

1 comment:

Christensen's said...

Jed and I are headed South this weekend. I can't wait. It is too cold here! Looks like you had a fun time!